A rare ORIGINAL First World War period British Red Cross Society card backing, describing the relevant circumstances surrounding the piece of wire artefacts from the First Zeppelin brought down at Cuffley in Essex on Sept 3rd 1916 and given by H.M. War Office exclusively to the British Red Cross Society to make into a souvenir brooch to sell and raise funds for the much needed war effort, now sadly only the supporting pin fitting which once held the wire, now surviving.
Card size 71 x 67mm.
A rare original piece of salvaged aluminium handcrafted in the form of the 'L32 Airship' which was shot down by Frederick Sowrey of the Royal Flying Corps, crashing near Snails Farm, South Green, Great Burstead, Near Billericay and killing all 22 crew members. Good condition, brass pin bar absent.
A scarce original bronze commemorative medal' by 'A.Fenwick', the obverse portraying embossed Crowned conjoined busts and inscribed 'H.M.Edward. VII. King.' H.M. Alexandra. Queen Proclaimed 1901', the reverse depicting the First British Military Airship flying over London inscribed 'Balloon School Royal Engineers'. Very good condition.
Balloon Section of the Royal Engineers was established under Lieutenant H.B. Jones in 1890. The balloon on the reverse of the medal, the first First British Military Airship was named the 'Nulle Secundis' by the King in May 1907. In October it flew successfully around St. Paul's Cathedral, but was destroyed after landing at Crystal Palace.
A rare original Great War period piece of genuine surviving wire from the First Zeppelin brought down at Cuffley in Essex Sept 3rd 1916 and given by H.M. War Office exclusively to the British Red Cross Society to make into a souvenir brooch to sell and raise funds for the much needed war effort. Very good condition, complete with its original card backing bearing large red cross and describing the relevant circumstances surrounding the piece of artefacts.
Card size 69 x 68mm.
A scarce original piece of handcrafted aluminium in the form of a swastika commemorating the 'Zeppelin L31' which came down over Oakmere Park, Hertfordshire on 1st October 1916 entire crew were killed including commander Lieutenant Heinrich Mathy. Inscribed back and front "L31" "Potters Bar 1.10.16". Good condition, complete with brass suspension ring, minor corrosion to one side.
Size 13mm. square
A scarce original piece of handcrafted aluminium in the form of a ring commemorating the 'Zeppelin L48' which was shot down and crashed in flames at Holly Tree Farm, Theberton, Suffolk on June 17th 1917 with only 2 crewmen surviving. The inside inscribed "17 6 17 Theberton". Very good condition.
A scarce original piece of handcrafted aluminium in the form of the 'Kaiser moustache' with a dangling 'Iron Cross' commemorating the 'Zeppelin L48' which was shot down and crashed in flames at Holly Tree Farm, Theberton, Suffolk on June 17th 1917 with only 2 crewmen surviving. Very good condition, complete with brass pin bar.
An extremely rare circa 1929 'R101 Airship pin brooch' designed in the form of the ill-fated British Rigid Airship which crashed on 5 October 1930 in France during its maiden overseas voyage, killing 48 of the 54 people on board. This beautiful jeweller's made, finely detailed large hollow silver brooch, inscribed "R101" to the nose and tail fins and bearing the registration number "G-FAAW"; the reverse impressed "Silver" and with maker's details "J.B & Co Ld" (John Bull & Co Ltd, High Street, Bedford.) who were in business around the 1922-1928 period. Excellent uncleaned pristine condition, retaining original pin fittings incorporating fine quality safety catch.
Accompanied by a cardboard box with details to the lid "Holden & Co Watchmakers & Jewellers George St. Croydon".
The R101 was constructed at the Royal Airship Works, at Cardington, Bedford. Her first flight was on the 14th October 1929. On her twelfth flight she crashed at Beauvais in France, 5th October 1930 on her way to India with the loss of 48 lives.
A rare circa 1920's early chromium plated 'Vickers Limited' cap badge, in the the form of a large naval crown applied to 'V' backing by two small securing pins, complete with original loops. Very good condition.
On the 1st January 1928 'Vickers Limited' merged with 'Armstrong Whitworth' to form 'Vickers-Armstrong Limited'.
website designed and maintained by Concept500